OK, so when my dad had DirecTV installed, he discovered that underneath the carpeting was hard wood flooring. Not cheap hardwood, but the good stuff, like an inch thick. Since the carpet was starting to get old and my parents are fans of hardwood flooring, the decision was made to go ahead and rip up the carpeting to expose it. Here is my tale:
First we had to rip up the old carpeting. We moved the light stuff off and just ripped around the heavier and more awkward furniture to move.
Then we had to pull up all the individual staples that held down the carpet padding as well as the strips of nails that ran along the side for the carpet to adhere to. You really can't see the staples, they were all throughout the floor, literally thousands of them. They were easily the least favourite part of the whole operation.
Eventually, we had to move everything out of the living room, that way we could paint the walls and sand the floor.
The spacious kitchen.
Now it's time to paint the ceiling!
Then we move to the walls
After the trim has been painted and the crown molding put up, it was time to sand the floor.
After cleaning up all the loose dust off of the floor, it was time to put a couple of coats of polyurethane on the wood.
Then we let it dry.
We replaced all the sockets and switches and put the furniture back.
This probably wasn't all that interesting to most people, but I don't care. It wasn't the easiest task, so the least you can do is scroll through some pictures with intermittent commentary.
Anyway, THE END!