Sunday, June 13, 2004

So yeah, I'm still having crazy dreams, but that's pretty normal for me these days. However, this post isn't going to be about dreams, I actually have stuff to update! It's been a good week. I kicked it off by going to see Virginia Coalition at HerndonFest. Not usually a fan of Festival gigs because the crowd usually lacks energy compared to a club show. Also, they can't be quite as rowdy, since it is a family atmosphere. Despite this, they were still able to win over a lot of the crowd, even as Andy was picking on the older folks sitting down. This was my first VACO show since the departure of Steve Dawson and I was eager to hear the new sound. It's definitely a little more lively with a little more emphasis on keys and piano (to replace Steve's guitar). It was still a lot of fun. It was cool to see JP take over the lead for a cover of The Beatles' "We Can Work it Out." I'm also happy to see that "80's for the ladies" is still around. The fact that they flew all the way from Los Angeles for this one gig didn't seem to dampen the energy. They promptly flew back after the gig so they could finish recording their new album. After the show, I talked to Andy and he was excited about the new album. He told us that it was set for a September 7th release, to which I replied, "Does that mean January?" Andy just stared at me for a few seconds in silence and said, "That's just fucked up." Their last album, Rock & Roll Party, was originally slated for a September '02 release, but didn't hit the shelves until January of '03. Andy went on to say that the band was "legitimate" now.

It's funny, the band now refers to me as "the malleable one." It stems from a few years ago at the SudFlood, which is a day log drinking and Music Fest at Top of the Stairs in Blacksburg, VA. We ran into them in the parking lot as they were getting ready to move their equipment on stage. They were on after the Dave Matthews Cover Band, but their set was running long. Since they wanted to get set up as fast as they could to start playing, a few of us volunteered to help load their equipment on stage to help speed things up. During this process, Andy managed to roll over my foot and ankle with one of the large instrument cases. It was in the grass and dirt, so it kinda' twisted over top of me. As Andy and Paul were coming to check up on me, I just replied, "It's OK! I'm malleable!" It looked a lot worse than it was, though. I didn't really feel it until the end of their set when I was jumping around.

Anyway, ever since then, the band asks me if I have been run over. They've even taken to telling other people that story when I'm not there. If I come up in conversation somehow, they tell them this story (Hi Chikako). At least I was able to be resilient and memorable at the same time!

This week, we've also been remodeling the living room. Once it's completely finished, I'll post pictures of our home improvement exploits.

We're all lost
We're all found
We're all soakin' wet

Vertical Horizon - Inside (Celebrate Fairfax version)


The high light of the week has to be seeing Vertical Horizon Saturday at the Celebrate Fairfax! Festival. I hadn't seen them in almost 3 1/2 years, so it was nice to catch them live, I really missed it. The weekend started out a disappointment because I was unable to go to their show at Power Plant Live in Baltimore. On top of that, I had planned to see them in Norfolk as well at the HarborFest, but I had to cancel that one at the last minute as well. So, at one point I was gonna' see them 3 times in 3 days, but it was reduced to just one show. To make matters worse, it started to rain on Saturday and it scared my friends away. They got all wishy washy about getting rained on. At this point I wasn't going to let anything stop me, so I went alone and I'm definitely glad I did. It may have been the most fun I had at a concert. Seriously, it never stopped raining during the entire set and I ended up getting soaked to my boxers. It was so bad that I could barely walk in my water logged jeans and after the show, I actually rung out my shirts in the bathroom.

The band was definitely on, though. They mixed in some older songs that hadn't made an appearance in quite a while and even threw in an incredible version of "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd. They also threw in snippets of Led Zeppelin(Kashmir), The Beatles (Eleanor Rigby), U2 (Bullet the Blue Sky), Tonic (If You Could Only See) and Rush (Spirit of the Radio). Even in the rain, they drew a decent sized crowd and they were all into it. At one point, Keith even pointed at me because we were all soaked, but were still having a good time.

Anyway, I will end this with a few photos from Saturday's show. Some of them are slightly blurry because I was cold and wet, which makes it hard to hold a camera steady.


Singing in the rain!


Keith Kane!


Matt Scannell


Matt Scannell and Sean Hurley


Ed Toth (with Keith on cymbals)


Matt and Sean again.

You can see the rest of the pictures at here.


Nothing's quite the same now
I'm standing in the rain now. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment