Thursday, December 16, 2004

I was talking to a lady the other day who had a baby no more than a few months old. I looked in the stroller and noticed that I had her attention, so I gave a little wave went "plbhlthlbhth." She looked at me, smiled and responded with her own "plthblhth." The mother told me that now I was "speaking her language."

I'm totally fascinated by kids. Sometimes I wonder what's going on in their heads. I mean, I was just trying to make the kid giggle or just get her attention, I had no idea that she'd recognize what I was doing and mimic me. It just blew my mind.

A few weeks ago, I was talking to Athena about how clothing is being cut larger these days. I used to wear a XL shirt in HS, because the large would bunch up under my armpits. Now, an XL looks like a deployed parachute on my slender frame. I'm not sure if we're resizing our clothing because we're getting taller or if we're just getting fatter. It's probably some combination of both. I mean, if you had issues with body image, wouldn't you feel better if you fit in an XL instead of an XXL?

Now they are doing the exact opposite to our food. I remember when I was a kid, the large pizza was 16". These days, the large is 14" and they only bust out the 16" pizza for specials. I was watching the commercial for the Full House pizza from Pizza Hut. The commercial features Queen Latifah, and I figure if she says it's big, it must be big. I mean, it had to be at least 18". Maybe even 20"! I was quite disappointed to find that it's only a 16" pie. They basically just renamed the Big New Yorker. Ms. Latifah, you have let me down this time, much like your cover of California Dreamin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment