Saturday, January 27, 2007

After hanging out with a friend for a while, she commented that I seemed to "float away" at times. I then introduced her to The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, and told her how I relate to him so much. Even in social settings, I often times find myself somewhere far off in my own world, far away from where my physical body lies. I can control this world at my whim and it is not a bad place to escape to. However, I have learned that there are times when this is more appropriate than others, as I tend to forget where I truly am during this.

Today, as I was walking around campus, I floated off into my thoughts for a while, escaping the biting cold and the crowd of friendless faces. It was some moments later that I snapped back into reality and realized that I did not know where I was. It took me a minute to figure out what was going on, but I was in the wrong building walking in the wrong direction. It dawned on me how much of the real world I block out and how I had no concept of what was going on around me. It also occurred to me how dangerous something like this could be. After making a mental note, I composed myself and retreated back the way I had come and towards my next class, undoubtedly already immersed in another thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment