Sunday, January 28, 2007

Since the idea of The Club Dumas centers around books and our love of them, one of the things we discussed was which literary character we were or wanted to be. I'm never good at answering questions on the spot, but at the time I decided that I wanted to be Digory Kirke. Not so much the child who first enters the world of Narnia in The Magician's Nephew, but rather the eccentric Professor and owner of the estate the Pevensie children stay at to escape the bombing runs during World War II in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I always wanted to be an eccentric old man who never loses the magic of childhood.

Although Professor Kirke is someone I'd like to become, another character emerges who I feel I have more in common with now. That character is Frank Gilbreth author of and patriarch in Cheaper By The Dozen. Frank is an efficiency expert and is continuously finding new ways to save time both at work and in the home. My own fascination with efficiency doesn't run nearly as deep as Frank's, in fact I can waste time with the best of them, but I am obsessed with performing tasks in the most efficient manner possible. This includes mundane everyday tasks like showering, fixing dinner and so forth.

I can also be slightly annoyed when others choose not to be efficient on my clock. When ordering a bakery item and a espresso from a cafe, I don't understand why they don't heat the muffin first and then work on the drink while it is warming up. Instead, they make the drink, then warm up the muffin afterwards. It's usually not even a minute difference, but it could mean the world of difference to an ever increasing line with ever decreasing patience. This is only one example of many, but it is a little glimpse into how my mind works at times.

That being said, there are definitely times when it is good to slow things down and enjoy every minute. I guess it is all a matter of balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment