Thursday, February 15, 2007

Questions from Kristin:

1. If you could play drums for ANY band or musician in the entire universe, who would you play drums for?
The amazing Kit Benshoof, of course! Otherwise, if it were any musician right now, it'd be Keith Kane from Vertical Horizon. His songs have always meant a lot to me, especially "The Glass Waltz" and "The Unchosen One." I don't think I can think of anything better than to play on his album (if he ever puts one out). Except of course, if I were able to play with Bob Dylan during the folk revolution.

2. Do you think you'll always live in Virginia or do you have a desire to leave eventually?
I have had the desire to leave for quite a while now. Right now, Washington, Oregon and Northern California are calling my name. I'm trying to find a place where the arts meet nature, if that makes any sense.

3. Favorite book?
Oh man. The default answer is Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman. That book changed the way I looked at the world. Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities is another book that changed my perspective. Actually, any book by Calvino is amazing. I actually went to the library on campus to read Numbers In The Dark on days when I left my copy at home and I wanted to read it so bad that I couldn't wait.

Other books that have moved me include The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon, The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte (which was bastardized into the move "The Ninth Gate") and of course On the Road by Kerouac.

On a side note, as amazing as Kerouac's writing style is, it makes it almost impossible to find anything specific. One night, I was trying to find a specific passage and it took me about 3 days worth of skimming and Googling to find it. I might as well have just re-read it.

4. if you could have been born in a different time period, would you want that? Which time period would you want?
I don't know if I'd "want" to be born in a different time period, mainly because you I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up my experiences in the present for that. However, if I were to choose a time period to visit, it'd be the 1920's to the 1940's. I'm for big bands, zoot suits and the ability to say "dame" and "broad" without being slapped. Also exchanges like this don't happen today:

Phyllis: I was just fixing some ice tea; would you like a glass?
Walter Neff: Yeah, unless you got a bottle of beer that's not working.

5. Have you ever been west of the Mississippi?
I've lived in Arizona and traveled west of the Mississippi on family Vacations a few times. It's been about 15 years, though and I think it's about time I went that way again.

There is a VW shop up the road with a lime green VW Bus there just begging me to take it cross country.


BONUS: What is it like to be you? And have a soul?
It is pretty much amazing. Especially when I abuse it for the "soul" purpose of flaunting it in front of you.


The Rules:
1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."
2. I respond by asking you five personal questions so I can get to know you better!
3. You WILL update your LJ (or blog) with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment