Monday, August 06, 2007

From the lovely Kristin:

1. You eat a lot. What would you pick if you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life? You can pick a main dish, two sides and a dessert.

You are evil. My two favourite meals are probably steak or baby-back ribs. However, if I only ate those, the "rest of my life" would not last very long. With that in mind, I would probably go with southwestern grilled chicken topped with diced onions, peppers, garlic, tomatoes and some cheese (either swiss or pepper jack). My sides would be garlic whipped potatoes and fresh green beans. For dessert, I'd have apple pie a la mode.

2. What do you like most about books?
"Books are, let's face it, better than everything else. If we played cultural Fantasy Boxing League, and made books go 15 rounds in the ring against the best that any other art form had to offer, then books would win pretty much every time. Go on, try it. The Magic Flute v. Middlemarch? Middlemarch in six. The Last Supper v. Crime and Punishment? Fyodor on points. See? I mean, I don't know how scientific thi sis, but it feels like the novels are walking it. You might get the occasional exception - Blonde on Blonde might mash up The Old Curiosity Shop, say, and I wouldn't give much of Pale Fire's chances against Citizen Kane. And every now and again you'd get a shock, because that happens in sport, so Back to the Future III might land a lucky punch on Rabbit, Run; but I'm still backing literature 29 times out of 30."
-Nick Hornby
For a long time, I resisted this notion, however the more I thought about it, the more I began to agree with it. There is less ambiguity among literature in quality (you come across bad music and art much more readily than you do bad literature). Literature also demands much more from both the reader as well as the writer. Literature is not a passive art, it is very much engaging and it demands your full attention.

In addition to that, the entire process of creating a book intrigues me. This does not apply as much to the production of newer books, where cost cutting measures have taken away the art of binding a book. Just look at a book that was created prior to the printing press.

3. What is the strangest dream you've ever had? (And I know you've had some weird ones in your day).

I've had a few, but here is one of my more vivid ones: Crazy Dreams!

4. Where do you see yourself and your life in ten years?

Living in Seattle running my own bookstore. I'll probably be telling a certain "part-time model" where to display some books.

5. What is one talent you wish you naturally had?

I wish I could sing. I would like to be able to bust out into song at random times.

No comments:

Post a Comment