Sunday, September 09, 2007



I tend to shy away from what is actually going on in my life in this blog and instead focus on what I am thinking about and of course the weird dreams I have. However, I felt that this deserved a mention.

I didn't write too much about what happened last April. At the time, it was just too much to deal with and really, it still is. The university has taken a lot of steps to aid in our healing process and a major step was the concert they held last Thursday.

The brainchild of Dave Matthews (who also selected the line up), A Concert for Virginia Tech was a way to bring the community together, only this time it would be in celebration, not in sorrow and grief. Admittedly, I was a bit skeptical of how much a concert could aid in the healing process and this is coming for a guy who lives and breathes music. I just wasn't sure how it was going to work.

Last Thursday, I became a true believer in the healing power of music. I didn't realize how much we needed this, to be able to come together and shout and cheer with nothing holding us back. No burdens on our shoulders, nothing weighing down our hearts. We needed something to come along and say that it was OK to celebrate again. I think we all knew that deep down, but there is always something in the back of your mind that keeps you from just letting go. This does not mean we are letting go of the memory of what happened, instead we are not letting the weight of it hold us back any longer.

This may be the greatest concert I have ever been to, not just because of the music that was played (because the music was incredible), but because of what it meant for us as people and as a community. So thank you to Dave Matthews Band, John Mayer, Nas, Phil Vasser and Virginia Tech for bringing us all together again.


The lights from the flashbulbs and cell phones around the stadium



Dave Matthews Band comes on stage to the crowd doing the stadium cheer. Sorry that it is a little blurry and shaky. I would've recorded all of "Two Step" but I ran out of memory on my SD card.

2 comments:

  1. That cell phone picture is really beautiful. It almost looks like space and galaxies all around. :)
    The Two Step clip made me cry a little bit. That song has always held my heart in its sweet sound. Thank you for posting. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm really glad you posted this, steven. really, there is something so healing about music and while i cannot even imagine what it must have been like to go through such a horrible experience (which no doubt must have been surreal), it is amazing to me how the whole campus seems to be banding together to move forward. and the music video definitely got me teary eyed, but i think really it was the post more than anything else. again, thank you.

    ReplyDelete