Saturday, March 14, 2009

Abstract Art

I don't think that there is any form of art that is divisive as abstract art is. For me, it is the art form that is closest to my heart. Abstract art is about emotion, it's about the moment, the turmoil in your heart. That's why I love it so much.

I've been told that I don't "feel anything." At least that I don't appear to. Nothing could be further from the case. It is just that the emotions swirl in my soul to such a degree that I don't know how to get them out. Words are inept at describing them. Instead all I can muster is some form of guttural moan. But when I look at a good abstract painting, I think to myself - that is exactly how I feel inside. The mixture of colours, the clash of emotions so polarized that they become one.

True, abstract art seems to invite the greatest examples of bad art. Art destined to align the walls of a waiting room while you nervously wait your name to be called. But good abstract art tells you how the artist was feeling on that day, at that moment. Captured forever on that canvas is the torment in the artist's soul. So don't look at abstract art and be dismayed that you don't know what it is. It's not meant to be merely looked at. It is meant to be felt.


"Small Pleasures" - Vasily Kandinsky (1913)

No comments:

Post a Comment